In the last few months, we’ve seen the power of workers in action. In response to the insulting offers of corporate negotiators:
- 96% of UFCW members in Southern California voted for a strike and economic action authorization.
- Hundreds of members, allies, and community supporters rallied with us in solidarity from Santa Barbara to Los Angeles.
- Nearly 10,000 consumers have signed a pledge to support grocery workers.
- Corporate negotiators dropped their plan to reduce checker pay 25%.
- Corporate negotiators dropped their plan to eliminate unused sick leave payout.
Big Grocery is beginning to understand just how strong we are when we stand united and fight for what is ours, but the road ahead is long, and we’ve got miles to go.
What we’ve seen, and what workers around the world know is a simple illustration of cause and effect. When we fight, we win. We’re in this for the long haul, because we won’t settle for anything less than what we deserve. A fair contract that recognizes your hard work.
We’re returning to the bargaining table again July 30 — August 1, and we need to show corporate that our strength and support are only growing.
Stand together with your brothers and sisters to show big grocery that we mean business. Join us for actions in Studio City, Los Angeles, Camarillo, and Pasadena to demand a fair contract for grocery workers.
President, UFCW 770