The Kaiser Permanente Southern California Region is experiencing a high increase in patient census resulting in an increased demand for staffing. Faced with this challenge, Kaiser Foundation Hospitals, Health Plan and Southern California Permanente Medical Group leadership and UFCW agreed to temporarily offer an “Extra Shift Incentive” to induce Lab Assistants, Licensed Vocational Nurses(LVN) I and II to work extra shifts as defined below. The specifics of the “Extra Shift Incentive” are as set forth below:
1. An additional shift is defined as hours worked in the care of patients that is in excess of 36 hours in one work week for 0.9 FTE staff and in excess of 40 hours in one work week for 1.0 FTE staff. If the staff member is routinely scheduled for four 12 hour shifts in one week (1.05 FTE), the additional shift definition for that week would be hours worked in the care of patients that is in excess of 48 hours. In addition, for part-time and per diem staff, a minimum of 24 hours must first be worked in the work week before being eligible for the incentive. Nonproductive hours do not count toward eligibility. All scheduled shifts in place at the time of the agreement’s effective date may be eligible if all other criteria of the agreement are met.
2. Employees who sign up for and are needed to work additional shifts, for which they are not regularly scheduled, will be eligible to receive an incentive payment for each additional shift worked as follows:
• $150.00 for each additional 8 hour shift
• $200.00 for each additional 10 hour shift
• $250.00 for each additional 12 hour shift
Further, employees who sign up for and are needed to work a night shift, as night shift is defined in the Parties’ Collective Bargaining Agreement, will receive an additional incentive of $100.00 for working an additional 8 hour, 10 hour or 12 hour night shift.
Example: LVN signs up for needed 10 hour night shift. LVNwill receive $200.00 for working the additional 10 hour shift plus the LVN will receive an additional $100.00 for signing up for and working the night shift.
3. The Extra Shift Incentive is in addition to applicable overtime and differential provisions as may be required by law and/or as set forth in the Collective Bargaining Agreement. The “Extra Shift Incentive” will be in effect from 7:00 a.m. on January 18, 2021until 7:00 a.m., on February 1, 2021. Any extension of the “Extra Shift Incentive” beyond the aforementioned time period must be made by mutual agreement between the parties.
4. Once an eligible employee’s extra shift has been confirmed on the work schedule, the employee cannot be cancelled.
5. If the employee calls in sick or takes an educational day for one of their regularly scheduled shifts in a week where they are also scheduled for an “Extra Shift Incentive” shift, they will no longer be eligible for the incentive. Staff are free to seek approval from their manager to cancel education time so that they may work their regular shift(s) if available or make themselves available for extra shifts.